I'm not looking to change the WG's mind on this matter, but:

On Sat, Sep 9, 2023 at 3:54 AM Douglas Foster <
dougfoster.emailstanda...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are many percentages mixed up together in this issue:
>
>    - The percentage of domain message sources which provide proper
>    authentication at origination.
>    - The percentage of domain messages which originate with proper
>    authentication.   This is determined by the volume distribution between
>    sources, which is likely to be variable.
>    - The  percentage of domain messages which are received with
>    authentication.   This will be different for each evaluator, depending on
>    the sources from which those messages originate.  This is also affected by
>    transit issues.
>
> But none of those percentages actually matter.   The one that matters to
> the evaluator is:
>
>    - The conditional probability that an unauthenticated message is
>    actually from the domain and not from an impersonator.   For this test, the
>    denominator depends on the volume of impersonation messages, which is
>    completely independent of the domain's message volumes.

This seems to over-complicate the point.  RFC 7489 says that "pct" means:

      Percentage of messages from the Domain Owner's
      mail stream to which the DMARC policy is to be applied.

It goes on to say report messages are excluded from this test.  It says
nothing about authentication.  Thus, if I get N messages from example.com,
and the "pct" value is X, then the DMARC test is applied only to X% of that
N; the simplest way to do this per-message would be to pick a random number
between 0 and 1 and if it's greater than X%, the message simply bypasses
DMARC altogether.

That's how we intended it when we wrote that, and that's how early
implementations did it.

But maybe this is the lesson: People have inferred lots of different things
from that rather straightforward definition, so maybe it's more ambiguous
than we realized all those years ago.

In RFC 7489, we have a domain-provided percentage whose calculation is left
> undefined.   Whatever the calculation, the result has little relevance to
> the evaluator's risk assessment.   It is actually harmful to advise
> evaluators to disposition using the sender's percentage and a random number
> generator.

How do you figure "harmful"?  The purpose was to enable a graduated
rollout.  If 1-X% of those messages are outright ignored, what harm is
being introduced?

-MSK, participating