Let's analyze the problem Jim raises, using it to answer Hector's question
about where responsibility lies.

Our assumed reference model is a fully automated, by-the-spec
implementation of RFC 7489.   In particular, this means that:
- when p=none, unauthenticated messages are never obstructed, for fear of
hindering a wanted message
- when p=reject, unauthenticated messages are never allowed, in the blind
faith that such messages are always unwanted
- when p=quarantine, automation will break down, so the policy is
recategorized as either none or reject.

This raises a coverage problem.   A huge volume of traffic will not be
protected by Sender Authentication, so the evaluator becomes entierly
dependent upon content filtering to protect himself from attacks that
impersonate unprotected domains.  In the unlikely case that a content
filtering implementation is sufficient for non-DMARC domains, it is likely
to be sufficient for DMARC domains also, making DMARC unnecessary.

The coverage problem is aggravated if we assume rational attackers.   With
a plethora of domains available for impersonation, attackers are least
likely to use domains that are protected with p=reject.  Therefore the
reference model implementation protects an evaluator where attacks are
least likely, and fails to protect an evaluator where attacks are most
likely.

Now consider the mailing list problem.

The mailing list owner should assume that all evaluators will enforce DMARC
according to the reference model, regardless of the receiving domain's
published DMARC policy.   This means that every subscribing domain SHOULD
create a DMARC exception for traffic coming from the list's MAILFROM
address.   However, we assume that this does not happen for one of these
reasons:
(a) the list owner does not ask for the exception,
(b) the subscriber fails to forward the exception request,
(c) the email system administrator refuses the request, or
(d) the email filtering system provides no mechanism to implement the
request.

Then subscribers join from one or more domains with p=reject policy, and
the problems start.   When a subscriber gets disenrolled because his domain
enforces DMARC without exceptions, he screams at the mailing list operator,
who then points his finger at the p=reject domain.  Alternatively, the
domain gets munged and the subscribers fuss for that reason instead.  Faced
with this peer pressure, the p=reject subscriber complains loudly to his
mail system administrator.   In the hoped-for-case, the domain owner caves
under this internal pressure and changes his DMARC policy to p=none.  One
of the odd things about this result is that the characteristics of the
incoming messages remain unchanged.  Instead, it is the risk tolerance that
has been increased.

In the simpler solution, subscribers would accept impersonation from one
account in one domain, so that both subscriber and non-subscriber domains
are protected from impersonation attacks using the p=reject domain from any
other source.   In the hoped-for solution, all Internet participants become
vulnerable to impersonation attacks using the no-longer-reject domain.
However, everyone is already undefended against impersonation attacks using
an untold number of unprotected domains, so how much does it matter if a
few more domains are made available to the attacker?  Besides, evaluators
are responsible for being able to protect their networks using content
filtering only, so the change in DMARC policy is unimportant because DMARC
itself is not really important when implemented using the reference model.

The problem is the reference model.  DMARC is not amenable or appropriate
using a fully-automated implementation.  Domain owner policies of "p=none"
or "no policy" SHOULD NOT cause the evaluator to ignore Sender
Authentication considerations.  Since any unauthenticated message carries
risk of an impersonation attack, regardless of DMARC policy, every
unauthenticated message should be assessed for impersonation risk.

I keep raising issues that some consider out of scope because I want the
DMARC specification to actually help protect people from attacks.

Doug Foster