On Fri 27/Oct/2023 12:34:11 +0200 John Levine wrote:
It appears that Scott Kitterman  <skl...@kitterman.com> said:
That is unfortunately true, but if we could decouple the DMARC from SPF, then at least we could fix the situation at some point...

I propose that we not repeat this discussion and instead, try to focus on
finishing.

If there isn't a consensus to do a DKIM-only feature, which seems to be the case, I agree, wrap up the few minor editorial issues and we're done.

The two reasons I see against the DKIM-only feature are that it can be fixed in SPF and a generic resistance to complications.

If we add the feature, we should in any case exemplify how to fix SPF, saying that doing so is safer, at least until all DMARC software has acquired the new feature. As the addition would be understood as a response to the known vulnerability, it will likely be spread.

As many of us consider it cleaner to have DMARC based on DKIM only, having that possibility as an option is a first step in that direction anyway. The thesis that DKIM is enough has been opposed but the only cases where SPF saves the day seem to be software bugs. The DKIM-only feature would allow to probe that thesis, which fixing SPF records would not.

Best