On Fri 27/Oct/2023 20:06:46 +0200 Scott Kitterman wrote:
On October 27, 2023 5:54:03 PM UTC, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
On Fri 27/Oct/2023 12:34:11 +0200 John Levine wrote:

If there isn't a consensus to do a DKIM-only feature, which seems to be the
case, I agree, wrap up the few minor editorial issues and we're done.

If we add the feature, we should in any case exemplify how to fix SPF, saying
that doing so is safer, at least until all DMARC software has acquired the new
feature.  As the addition would be understood as a response to the known
vulnerability, it will likely be spread.

As many of us consider it cleaner to have DMARC based on DKIM only, having that
possibility as an option is a first step in that direction anyway.  The thesis
that DKIM is enough has been opposed but the only cases where SPF saves the day
seem to be software bugs.  The DKIM-only feature would allow to probe that
thesis, which fixing SPF records would not.

What do we know now that we didn't know the last time we decided not to go DKIM
only?  I'd argue there's nothing and endless relitigation of issues like this
is making it impossible to actually accomplish what we're chartered to
accomplish.

You're the only one strongly opposing the idea, AFAICS, and I still don't know
why.

Let's either focus and finish or give up and close the group.

Even if we don't add the feature, we should address the vulnerability. Currently there is only a bullet in Section 4.8, Organizational Domain Discovery, saying:

    * The domain found in the RFC5321.MailFrom header if there is an SPF
      pass result for the message being evaluated.

We need to add a subsection in Security Consideration, discussing an example of an include mechanism with a neutral qualifier and its effect on DMARC outcome; that is, how that avoids spurious authentications.

The other snippet where SPF qualifiers are discussed is Section 8.1, Issues Specific to SPF. We could add a reference to the added subsection there.

Best