The intended purpose of using it in the referenced scenario is to avoid the
negative connotation of ~ or - on their shared infrastructure mechanism(s)
in SPF evaluation, while also producing a non-pass for SPF to DMARC.

Many receivers use the failure SPF results as additional signals to
spam/junk filtering; if a sender used the latter two (~ or -) instead of
neutral (?), it would only cause more issues.

But as you stated, I agree the handling of the neutral qualifier is most
likely non-standardized across the internet.

- Mark Alley