On a theoretical level, probabilistic tools like spam assassin will be
predictably wrong some of the time.   Accurate disposition requires audits
and overrides using static rules based on confirmed evidence.  I cannot
find much sympathy for sites that enforce SPF without considering DKIM and
without an audit process.   They are better off ignoring SPF completely.

In the matter of SPF Upgrade attacks, we start from the assumption that SPF
PASS is not reliably true, so neutral is closer to the truth.

Doug