On Tue, Jan 16, 2024 at 2:03 AM Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:

> On Mon 15/Jan/2024 20:49:35 +0100 John Levine wrote:
> > It appears that Scott Kitterman  <skl...@kitterman.com> said:
> >>I don't think that's sensible at all.  It's not the place of a signing
> filter to modify the message.
>
> A signing filter, as part of an MSA _has to_ modify the message in order
> enhance the possibility that it is transmitted correctly.  Besides usual
> changes belonging to the core MSA, such as setting Date:, a signing filter
> shall take care of signature breaking cases, such as lines beginning with
> "from ".

I also disagree.  A signing filter (or an MSA, for that matter) can also
decline to sign a message that fails to meet certain criteria like, say,
RFC5322.  I would contend that this is the right action, since what we're
doing here is securing the message, and a filter in that position shouldn't
be presuming what the author meant to say.

As I recall, with milter in particular, the MTA will add a missing Date
field, which the filter never actually sees and thus cannot sign.  The
filter only sees the message exactly as it was presented to the MTA.  As a
result, if the message is signed, Date is not, and any verifier that thinks
it ought to be will consider the signature invalid.

There's another thread of concern here: For a signature to survive transit,
the signing filter needs to anticipate any rewrites that will happen to the
message.  If "Date" is missing and it gets added, that's one thing; if
"From" is rewritten outbound by the MTA (which is not uncommon), say from
$HOST.$DOMAIN to just $DOMAIN, the signature may be immediately invalidated.

There's a lot of complexity here that I think filter authors would just as
soon leave to the MTA/MSA.

A use case is when submitting co-authored articles or notes.  Yes, it is
> rare
> to type a message four hands, but it can happen, and banning the
> possibility to
> correctly identify the authors is harsh.
>
> Thinking twice, saving the original multi-value to Author: is not enough
> have replies reach every author.  Better also use Reply-To:.

This strikes me as something that needs to be codified outside of DMARC,
rather than by it.

-MSK, participating