Douglas Foster skrev den 2024-02-29 18:48:
I am surprised at the lack of feedback about Barry's research link.
It is a devastating attack on our ability to trust SPF when shared
infrastructure is involved.   As a result of that document, I have
switched camps and believe that we MUST provide a DKIM-only option for
DMARC.

The proposed workaround, of using a "?" modifier to force SPF Neutral
instead of Pass, seems to lack both awareness and implementation,
since it was not even mentioned in the research document as a
mitigation.

spf specs have desided to allow +all and unlimited numbers of ips, there is no way to stop it unless rfc changes it

even "v=spf1 ip4:0.0.0.0/0 -all" is fully valid

for maillist is never being dmarc aligned anyway, but direct could be aligned, if not a forwarding host does something, with or without srs

maybe rfc wise it could help to have a max ips to get spf pass ?