On March 17, 2024 11:11:04 AM UTC, Alessandro Vesely <ves...@tana.it> wrote:
>On Sat 16/Mar/2024 20:01:22 +0100 Scott Kitterman wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think both of these should be addressed as part of this issue in Security
>>> Considerations.
>>
>> It seems to me that, to the extent we are going to address this issue, there
>> is agreement that Security Considerations is appropriate.  Here's proposed
>> text:
>>
>> 11.X  External Mail Sender Cross-Domain Forgery
>>
>> Both of the email authentication methods which underlie DMARC fundamentally
>> provide some degree of assurance that an email was transmitted by an MTA
>> which
>> is authorized to do so.  SPF policies just map domain names to sets of
>> authorized MTAs [ref to RFC 7208, section 11.4].  Verified DKIM signatures
>> indicate that an email was transmitted by an MTA with access to a private key
>> that matches the published DKIM key record.
>>
>> When Domain Owners authorize mail to be sent by sources outside their
>> Administrative Management Domain there is a risk that an overly permissive
>> source may send mail which will, as a result, receive a DMARC pass result
>> that
>> was not, in fact, authorized by the Domain Owner.  These false positives may
>> lead to issues with systems that make use of DMARC pass results to indicate a
>> message is in some way authentic.  They also allow such unauthorized senders
>> to evade the Domain Owner's requested message handling for authentication
>> failures.
>>
>> The only method to avoid this risk is to ensure that no overly permissive
>> sources can successfully DKIM sign the domain's mail or transmit mail which
>> will evaluate as SPF pass.  If there are non-DMARC reasons for a domain owner
>> to include a permissive source in a domain's SPF record, the source can be
>> excluded from DMARC consideration by using the '?' qualifier on the SPF
>> record
>> mechanism associated with that source.
>

>That text is too long and lacks an example.
>
>The first paragraph can be omitted without losing context.  BTW, Section 11.4
>of RFC 7208 is about /cross-user/ forgery, not cross-domain.
>
>The second paragraph doesn't mention SPF.  Couldn't it be more direct?  For
>example:
>
>    Domain Owners who set up SPF records which include sources outside their
>    Administrative Management Domain run the risk that an overly permissive
>    source may allow its users to send scam mail which will receive a DMARC
>    pass results that were not intended by the Domain Owner.  These false
>    positives [...]
>
>The third paragraph is also longer than needed.  There's no need to mention
>DKIM if we're talking SPF forgery.  I'd also point out that the neutral
>qualifier prevents quick rejection of the message, and is probably useless for
>those who have ~all.  (Are there MTAs who distinguish between neutral and
> [...]

I disagree.

Security considerations should be a complete description of the consideration.
While the data that's been discussed about current issues has been SPF related,
there's no reason a third-party couldn't equally screw up and sign DKIM in a
similar manner.  We should include both (we discussed this pretty extensively
already, let's not do it again).

I think we need to be explicit that there are two risks:

1.  Bad mail gets DMARC pass and so DMARC policy is not applied (avoid
consequences of DMARC fail).

2.  Bad mail gets DMARC pass and something else (e.g. BIMI) does a wrong thing
(gets benefits of DMARC pass).

It's not typical to put examples in security considerations.  Additionally, I
think doing so would over emphasize that aspect of the consideration.  We're a
technical group and so we like technical solutions, but for this one, I think
the boring and difficult policy question of not authorizing third parties that
do bad things is more important.

Scott K