Dear Pete,

multicast mobility management is a route adaptation problem. As in the unicast case, mobility can only be treated by routing dynamics in trivial cases (re-connect of a tunnel, re-association with next hop). Otherwise it is unwise to delegate mobility adaptation to routing protocols (-> OSPF, BGP ...).

Accordingly, if DMM distributes mobility operations, handover management should foresee easy interconnects to previous distribution trees - both for receivers and for mobile multicast sources.

I guess, if DMM people are careful, this is not a world-class item and can be treated along the lines of unicast solutions - an isolated multicast protocol treatment (as has been previously proposed from MULTIMOB folks) seems inappropriate. In core PMIP, multicast treatment has turned out to work out simply (-> RFC6224).

Thus my argument: talk to the multicast guys before adopting a solution ... and make the rest an easy game.

Cheers,

Thomas