support

H Anthony Chan

-----Original Message-----
From: dmm [mailto:dmm-boun...@ietf.org] On Behalf Of Alexandre Petrescu
Sent: Wednesday, June 29, 2016 9:51 AM
To: dmm@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [DMM] WGLC #2 for draft-ietf-dmm-ondemand-mobility-05

Hi,

I support this draft but I have some comments.

The draft reads in some places as this were an IPv4 draft.

As opposed to IPv4 in IPv6 rarely if ever the network assigns an address to a
terminal.

In IPv6 most of the times the network advertises a prefix on a link.
Rarely if ever (DHCPv6 is rarely used) is the host requesting an address from
the network; and I am not talking of requesting a particular kind of address.

So, if the host rarely if ever requests an address, it's hard to assimilate
that it's easy to request a particular address type.

As such it's hard to say:
> - Fixed IP Address
>
> A Fixed IP address is an address assigned to the mobile host by the
> network with a guarantee to be valid for a very long time,

Another comment is about this paragraph:
> At any point in time, a mobile host may have a combination of IP
> addresses configured.  Zero or more Non-persistent, zero or more
> Session-lasting, and zero or more Fixed IP addresses may be configured
> on the IP stack of the host.  The combination may be as a result of
> the host policy, application demand, or a mix of the two.

YEs, but never will a mobile host have zero IPv6 addresses configured.
Even if the network does not advertise a prefix towards it, and even if
DHCPv6 is not active, the mobile host will always self-form an IPv6 link-local
address.

> In case an application requests one, the IP stack shall make an
> attempt to configure one by issuing a request to the network.

I can agree the host's IP stack can issue a request to the network.  But I dont
know what kind of request is that?  DHCPv6 request?  ICMPv6 Router Solicitation?

>    It is outside of the scope of this specification to define how the
>    host requests a specific type of address (Fixed, Session-lasting or
>    Non-persistent) and how the network indicates the type of address in
>    its advertisement of addresses (or in its reply to an address
>    request).

But this is contradictory to the above.

You are saying that the IP stack 'shall' make an attempt, and at the same time
you dont tell how to make that attempt.

>    The following are matters of policy, which may be dictated by the
>    host itself, the network operator, or the system architecture
>    standard:
>
>    - The initial set of IP addresses configured on the host at the boot
>    time.

Do you mean something like this: address A is preconfigured on the host as
session-lasting, and address B is pre-configured as fixed?

>    - Permission to grant various types of IP addresses to a requesting
>    application.

I dont understnad this?  Who grants to whom?

>    - Determination of a default address type when an application does
>    not make any explicit indication, whether it already supports the
>    required API or it is just a legacy application.

I understand this and it can make sense.

But none of these 3 policy tools give the host a means to make a request to the
network.  Each of the 3  tools is a local tool - is the intent of the draft to
have an entirely local decision making algorithm?  (no message exchange).

Alex