Hello folks,

Policy seems always to be complicated.  I wrote up a scenario that, I think, captures many of the complications and relevant areas of application.  I also think the explanations about policy management as used in the scenario mostly represent the intention of the text currently in the FPC draft.  If the description about how policy is managed for the handover scenario is appropriate, I would like to use it and carry out a slight reorganization of the descriptions in the draft.

Regards,
Charlie P.

Example for mobile node movement from DPN-1 to DPN-2.

MN has two flows:

 *      = F1: best effort traffic
 *      = F2: voice call

When MN attaches to the access network of DPN-1, DPN-1 constructs a Mobility Context for MN.  It has the following (say, at network entry):

 *      = MN's IP address (MN_IP)
 *      = Policy X for F1
 *      = Policy Y for F2
 *      = other stuff (charging ID, current remaining credit, ...)

When MN moves to the access network of DPN-2, DPN-2 should receive the Mobility Context for MN from DPN-1, and make the necessary modifications so that the Mobility Context for MN is parameterized for operation with DPN-2.

Suppose that for this example, DPN-1 routes all traffic to/from MN through a common gateway G-11.  Also suppose that FPC Client has installed two policies on both DPN-1 and DPN-2 -- one for best effort traffic, one for voice.

Then DPN-1 might store in the Mobility Context for MN the following rules:

 *      = R1: If (packet belongs to flow F1), then route through G11
 *      = R2: If (packet belongs to flow F2), then route through G11
 *      = R3: Else, drop

In simplest terms, at DPN-1 don't support any fancy applications, and route all packets through G11.  Observe that the actual rules would certainly be different, but I think this is sufficient for the example.  As this description of the scenario proceeds, the need for other policies will be considered.

How did rules R1, R2, and R3 get installed on DPN-1?  Presumably the FPC Client has a list of policies that are supported in the Domain (i.e., operator's network).  One policy (X) could be called "Handling-Best-Effort" with Policy-Key P-12 and the other policy (Y) could be called "Handling-Voice" with Policy-Key P-37.  Keys P-12 and P-37 are unique within the namespace available to the FPC-Client for data-plane nodes in its Domain.

When MN registers at DPN-1, DPN-1 should already have policies P-12 and P-37 available for insertion into MN's mobility context. Let's say that these two policies are in the set of Assigned Policies at DPN-1 and DPN-2, and that the FPC client configures those policies at the time the data-plane topology is established that contains DPN-1 and DPN-2.  The FPC Client might have more policies that are pertinent to all flows on the mobile node, and when a mobile node registers at a DPN, the DPN process determines which of those policies are associated with a particular mobile node, according to the flow information that is provided during registration.  For our mobile node, suppose that policy P-51 applies to every flow on the mobile node.

There might be some other policies that are applied for traffic to/from every mobile node, regardless of the specific credentials or flows supported on that mobile node.  These might be Domain policies, or they might be configured only for a particular Interface Group, or both.  Domain policies might pertain to a particular class of mobile nodes, such as visitors from another specific domain.  This is a matter for discussion.

There might be another category of policies that are DPN-specific.  Such policies would apply to every Mobility Context resident on a particular DPN, regardless of the particular mobile node.  But another DPN might not have any of the policies of the first DPN, or only some of them.  Let's call those DPN policies.

Back to the scenario where the MN moves from DPN-1 to DPN-2. Suppose that the mobility management system wants to do a smooth handover, and that this requires transferring MN's Mobility Context from DPN-1 to DPN-2.  Suppose that on DPN-1 there are DPN-specific policies P-40 and P-41 that apply to the mobile node, and Domain policies P-50 and P-52.

This depends on how the policy rules are stored on DPN-1.  Here is one possibility:

 *      = DPN-specific policies are not transferred with the Mobility