On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 01:06:18AM +0000, t.j.duch...@gmail.com wrote:
> Thank you, Hendrik.
>
> That is what I assumed you would find.  I’m not overreacting per se. I freely
> admit, I’ve not looked at the code to see how well it functions
> independently.  I also do not know for certain that it is a recent addition.
> I do not recall seeing it in previous Wheezy releases as a default package.
>
> My concern is two-fold:
>
> 1) Are they adding new code that was not in the original Wheezy release for
> the sake of Jesse upgrades?
> 2) Have they become so enamored of systemd that the maintainers see it as a
> solution to problems in Wheezy rather than patching the pre-existing code?
>
> If any of these answers turn out to be “yes” using Wheezy may be problematic
> later.  Obviously, if number either of these cases are true, it can lead to
> stability questions.  It could also be true that it has been there all along
> and I somehow missed seeing it, although I’ve installed Wheezy many times and
> that seems unlikely.

I looked it up in packages.debian.org.
systemd-login0 is in both wheezy and wheezy-backports, with different
version numbers.

It is deprecated in jessie and sid, and rc-buggy in experimental.

It is not in squeeze.

My guess is that it got into squeeze long ago, in the days of
systemd-innocence.

Is there any way to track the history of a package and its adoption
into different releases?

-- hendrik