On 11/04/15 19:05, Paul van der Vlis wrote:
Op 10-04-15 om 19:14 schreef Anto:

Hello Paul,

I understand your pain as I have been there.

I managed to have everything working with Debian jessie without any
packages containing "*systemd*".
I don't think this is a good for systemd-shim.

I don't want to use any packages which are built due to systemd like systemd-shim, systemd-sysv, init-system-helpers, etc. I don't want to see anything containing and related to systemd. Not on the output of dmesg, not on any files or folders, basically not anywhere on my PC.

I also used XFCE 4.10, lightdm and wicd
to manage the connection to my WiFi and LAN. For XFCE issue with suspend
and hibernate,
It's also about shutdown.

Yes. Shutdown button is active as well. So when I used XFCE 4.10 with the packages that I suggested, I could see the same buttons on the Log Out options like on my current XFCE 4.8 now https://minifora.eu/public/images/xfce_v4.8_logout_options.png.

I had it working by using xfce4-power-manager package
including some of its related packages and dependencies from
http://angband.pl/debian/dists/nosystemd/.

However, a few weeks ago I downgraded my PC to Debian wheezy. I thought
it is safer to use it before switching to Devuan, instead of using the
packages from Debian jessie which a lot of them are dependent on
systemd. I think it is very likely that a lot of other packages will be
made dependent on systemd in the near future. So my PC is now using the
packages from Debian wheezy and wheezy-backports. It was quite a pain to
downgrade all necessary packages like downgrading glibc 2.19 to 2.13. Of
course I can only use XFCE 4.8 because of this.
Downgrading is not easy with Debian.

It was indeed hard but it is very far from impossible, as I managed to do that under an hour.

About Synaptic, I only use it for easy searching for packages. But for
package installation and upgrade, I usually use apt-get as I thought it
is safer.
I don't use Synaptic, but many of my customers do.

For easy searching I use the webinterface.

In any case, I think administration type of packages like
Synaptic, GParted, etc., must only be executed with root privilege. So
they should be launched with gksu in desktop. For Synaptic for instance,
what I did was to copy /usr/share/applications/synaptic.desktop into
~/.local/share/applications, and then edit it to change
"Exec=synaptic-pkexec" into "Exec=gksu synaptic".
Ah, thanks. That's a good idea.

You are welcome.

With regards,
Paul van der Vlis.