Le 14/08/2015 10:16, Noel Torres a écrit :

Everyone that has anytime been trapped in the Dependency Hell knows about the complicated chains of dependencies in Debian. As a simple example, today it is impossible to install LibreOffice 5 and KDE together, since libreoffice 1:5.0.1~rc1-2 ends depending on libstdc++6 5.2.1-15 while kde-full 5:81 end depending on libkolabxml1 1.1.0-3 (the highest version available), but libstdc++6 Breaks libkolabxml1 <= 1.1.0-3

Seems to me there's something weird, both, in libreoffice depending on just one single version of libstdc++, and in libklabxml being broken by this version of libstdc++, be it the fault of kde or libstdc++ developpers.

The dependency chains might be shortened by linking at least part of the libraries statically. All this dependency buysiness mostly comes from the abuse of dynamic linking. The only real advantage of dynamic linking is faster upgrade in a distribution, but it often turns out to make it just impossible.

As a simple rule, I don't understand why Debian accepts a package which depends on just one version of libstdc++, therefore de facto preventing any upgrade. To be accepted, this package should be linked against a static version of libstdc++6, hence dropping the dependency. But, Ok, it's Debian's buziness for now.

    Didier