All that info is right as far as I can tell.

gcc versions from /proc/version are labelled as debian for me too.

Try cat /etc/devuan_version

Also try switching to the stock 4.x kernel that comes with testing, you can do it by installing linux-image-amd64 package which I guess you don't have. Watch carefully the output though, I managed to mess up my testing system that way because I didn't notice it wanted to remove things, which was due to dependencies not having the right version yet which I think is happening occasionally.

But it looks like you migrated properly :-)

There's probably several solutions somewhere to purge old configuration files for packages already removed, or maybe /etc/debian_version should be there too idk.

Hello dev1fanboy, and everyone else.

This is just an F.Y.I. I'd like to let you know that I've just carried
out what so far appears to be a successful Debian -> Devuan
conversion. You prudently advised that the
upgrade/transformation/conversion should be from either Debian Wheezy
or Jessie, and that was for very good reason. However, my Debian
system was of the Stretch/Sid flavour:

/etc/debian_version
stretch/sid

/proc/version
Linux version 4.1.0-2-rt-amd64 (debian-ker...@lists.debian.org) (gcc
version 4.9.3 (Debian 4.9.3-3) ) #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Debian 4.1.6-1
(2015-08-23)

Alas, I am far too impatient, impetuous and imprudent to methodically
downgrade my system to the appropriate level before I attempted such a
foolish thing, so I proceeded regardless. I even went so far as to
configure minimalism in the system as you suggested, and that almost
went off without a hitch. I say almost, because in the process my
nvidia graphics driver and kernel module were trashed. But reinstating
those was in principle easy owing to the brilliant SGFXI script,
however I did need to re-boot (sorry KatolaZ) into a non-real-time
pre-emptive kernel (i.e. non -rt-) otherwise the the sgfxi script
complained and barfed.

I can provide more detail if you're curious, but for the minute, I
just wanted to thank you for your exceptionally clear and prescriptive instructions and perhaps to say that, if one is as brave or foolish as
I am, it is eminently possible to jump across to Devuan from Debian
Stretch/Sid by following your guide.

Cheers,
Sam

p.s. there is (at least?) one annoying relic of the old Debian system
lingering on my new Devuan OS, however: /etc/debian_version still says
stretch/sid, and /proc/version now says:

Linux version 3.16.0-4-amd64 (debian-ker...@lists.debian.org) (gcc
version 4.8.4 (Debian 4.8.4-1) ) #1 SMP Debian 3.16.7-ckt11-1+deb8u3
(2015-08-04)

Is my triumphant declaration of success premature?