Le 09/11/2015 05:06, Sam a écrit :
On 07/11/15 20:53, Didier Kryn wrote:
Le 07/11/2015 11:02, dev1fan...@use.startmail.com a écrit :
All that info is right as far as I can tell.

gcc versions from /proc/version are labelled as debian for me too.

     The kernel remembers who has compiled it, when, and where. If you
compile it yourself you'll be pleased to see your username in
/proc/version. You can also add some tag to the kernel version It is
also possible to add some tag to the version of gcc if you compile it
yourself, and it will appear when you invoke 'gcc --version'.

     As long as Devuan keeps Debian packages for kernel and gcc, you're
going to see that they have been compiled by Debian devs. And Devuan,
for the moment only modifies packages which need to, in order to get rid
of systemd dependency. This does not involve gcc, and not yet the kernel.

     Didier

Thanks Didier, for the advice and especially for setting me straight on
this matter. I should have realised this before I raised it as a quirk
or an issue; I've compiled many, many custom kernels, so I should have
been well-aware of the process and the tweaks that are possible - and
having played with that one in particular when customising and compiling
kernels off-platform for the particular idiosyncrasies of the eventual
host systems, I should have been more attentive to this.

Thanks especially for dignifying my input into the discussion with your
response.

Sam

    Dear Sam,

You seem experienced in embedded Linux (compiling custom kernels). This is a field in which I gained a little experience, and this is how I learned the most about the init process. And it is probably for this reason that I became a Devuan fan at the beginning of this year. I guess people must have some knowledge of init to have an opinion on how it should be :-)

I, like you, have a great respect for the goals of the VUAs. I admire their talent regarding both Debian and Cloud technologies.

    Didier