On 08/02/16 17:35, Adam Borowski wrote:
On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 01:27:19PM +1100, Simon Wise wrote:
My understanding is that both the rpi0 and rpi1 are based on a ARMv6
chip, which makes them closer to armel than to armhf. So, I'm afraid
you're stuck with raspbian for now.

raspbian is in between armel and armhf because debian armel is (or was then)
compiled without hard float support while debian armhf is compiled for arm7
... so since PIs are arm6 with FPU neither is suitable ... raspbian is
compiled to suit PIs.

Actually, armel _is_ perfectly suitable, just a bit slower.  However,
rapbian guys wanted to use all the computing power of pi's CPU, and thus
used a debased version of armhf.  They really should have named the
architecture different.

They certainly could not do anything useful for me without hard float!

simon