Jim Murphy <srlinuxad...@gmail.com> escribió:
[...]
UNIX and lookalikes have been able to boot into single user mode
with a small root filesystem without the need for /usr, /var or ...
There are still admins that have split any number of these directories
into their own filesystems for various reasons. I guess you can call
these use-cases. By placing the init systems in /var we again remove
another choice for admins/users.  If we are about choice, then /var
may not be the best place to put inits.
[...]

For sure my installations have /var separated, to avoid /var/log/syslog growing enough to fill / and thus causing the system to fail.

The only things I consider to be on root filesystem are:
/ (obviously)
/etc
/lib
/bin
/sbin

Not even /boot, which I use to have in a separated partition independently in each hard disk, while all the others are in a replicated RAID among all disks.

From this, I derive that init system files should be in /etc (configuration) and /sbin (executables). For the sake of keeping things as they are, shell scripts could continue in /etc as in /etc/init.d so I strongly raise hand for /etc/orc or /etc/wtf-is .

Regards

Noel
er Envite