On 19/07/16 10:43, Rick Moen wrote:
Quoting Brad Campbell (lists2...@fnarfbargle.com):

This is one I find interesting. I've never used an operating system
where it was required to know root credentials to halt or reboot the
machine from the login screen.

Remember, Unix is a multiuser operating system, and also one supporting
both local and remote users, who would be annoyed by someone deciding to
cut them off.

Rick I completely understand that sentiment, and none of my servers have a GUI on them. I just "assumed" (yeah, my mistake) that display managers were used only on single user desktop machines.

Windows is a special case, well just because Windows has always been a special case and it has taken Microsoft some 20 years to come to terms with a GUI-less server.

Regards,
Brad