Le 25/06/2017 à 22:02, Rick Moen a écrit :
As Nelson says, other common options include mdev, smdev, and nldev.
And there's also eudev, though it seems quixotic to me.  Personally, I'm
lastingly fond of Rob Landley's mdev, as it's_really_  minimal, and
doesn't succumb to the desire to satisfy every possible feature request
that I still see in vdev.  (Not that I'm in any way less than admiring
of the project generally.  I just don't need all of what it does.)

https://git.busybox.net/busybox/tree/docs/mdev.txt
https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev

Quoting the latter:

   Will mdev work on my system?

   The mdev application is definitely suitable as long as the system does
   not use a full-fledged desktop environment. Note that a desktop
   environment is not required to run AbiWord, Firefox, GIMP, Gnumeric,
   etc. However, KOffice applications like KMail seem to pull in most of
   KDE as a dependency. In general, when using KDE or GNOME, mdev is not
   suitable. Also using LVM might be troublesome.

Seems to hit my use-cases perfectly, as I don't care whether DEs have
indigestion, or whether the worst DE-related apps (like KMail) do.  For
perspective, you get mdev for free if you have Busybox, so that'll give
you some idea how small and simple it is.

    mdev is fine for a server. It is lacking a few features w/r udev:

1) It doesn't build /dev/disk/[by-id | by-label | by-partuuid | by-path | by-uuid]

I tried to add this feature by the mean an mdev-called script ~ a year ago in a Busybox OS, and succeeded easily with by-label and by-uuid. I don't know the usage of the others anyway.

2) It doesn't come with a library for applications to retrieve information about the devices. This affects primarily the X11 configuration, which means you will need to provide some Xorg.conf file, like in the old times. I don't know if its affects also other subsystems, like audio.

    Didier