Le 22/08/2017 à 03:38, Adam Borowski a écrit :
Per the other thread, the only thing you need udev/mdev for anymore is
setting permissions and calling hooks.  Don't tell me that udev is a "big
price" on any machine bigger than a microcontroller these days.

The price of depending on Udev-Systemd and Dbus. The price of not being assured of the future of Eudev and of Vdev. The price of the complexity of all these.

You might have missed the context.  We were talking about how to ensure
that Xorg works with mdev, rather than udev.
But why?  mdev is not meant to be used beyond an initramfs, it can't do
hotplug, and on modern Linux coldplug is almost entirely done via hotplug --
with shit happening if your software can't take a device which took a while
to start.

What makes you think it should be restricted to initramfs? For sure it was meant to have a small footprint and small resource usage, but I don't think it sacrifies any functionality, except it lacks the equivalent of libudev, which library seems to be used only by Udev itself and Xorg.

    Didier