taii...@gmx.com writes:
I found this seemingly cool product, a pci-e hardware RNG that produces a large stream of "truly random" "quantum" random numbers.
I am curious what the deal with this is, does it really work? what is the use case for this? does anyone here have one?

I have a competitor, http://www.entropykey.co.uk / apt-get install ekeyd, which I fear isn't being made any more. It's useful sometimes. "Arnt, marketing just signed a deal fory x with y, and we need 5000 coupon codes, they really should be impossible to guess". What these devices does is basically keep /dev/random topped up, even if the host is a rackmounted server and you need a half-megabyte of random bits in short order.

I bought them when some software insisted on using /dev/random (because security), emptied the pool and an important service grew unresponsive.

Arnt