On Sat, Oct 21, 2017 at 06:31:50PM +0200, Arnt Karlsen wrote:

[cut]

> ..did all this (except with aptitude), should I then go from 4 to
> 615 upgradeable packages???
>
> ..I did the git clone dance first.
> Does amprolla3 know that "Debian Jessie == Debian old-stable",
> and that "Debian stable == Debian Stretch", and that
> "Devuan Jessie != Debian Jessie", so we pick the right
> "Debian Jessie == Debian old-stable" packages into our
> /Merged/ tree and not the "Debian stable == Debian Stretch"???
>
> ..bottom line: Did I pick up Debian Stretch packages from amprolla3?
> No worries, I'll do the aptitude upgrade dance only after we know
> what's going on here. ;o)

I am not sure I understand what you mean, but you must use "jessie",
"ascii", or "ceres" in your sources.list, and not "stable", "testing",
"unstable", if that is your question. You probably get 615 packages to
upgrade since ascii-upgrades was finally merged by amprolla3.

amprolla3 is functionally equivalent to the traditional amprolla. So
if you specify "jessie", you will get Jessie packages, not Stretch
ones. If you are on Devuan "ascii", you will get Ascii packages. Those
packages that have been forked by Devuan will come from Devuan, and
those that have not been touched will come from Debian. As in the
original amprolla.

As usual, you should never mix debian and devuan repos. If you do mix
them, you are on your own, and must not blame amprolla or devuan :)

We have been testing amprolla3 for more than two months now, on dozens
machines, and it has been working like a charm.

HND

KatolaZ