On Sat, 21 Oct 2017 at 14:23:00 -0400
"taii...@gmx.com" <taii...@gmx.com> wrote:

> On 10/21/2017 09:14 AM, Alessandro Selli wrote:
>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_hardware_random_number_generators
>>
>> says of all ID Quantique SA products:
>>
>> Open Hardware?       Software License
>> Closed               Proprietary
> Ah thank you.
>
> What a shame.

  Their products are even amazingly costly: the Quantis-PCIe-16M sells for
€2990, Quantis-PCIe-4M for €1299 and Quantis-USB for €990.  I understand that
a true RNG might be an important piece of hardware for your organisation and
business and that Swiss people are on the average well-to-do (at least so they
say), still I cannot believe these prices.

  I use a 602 kbit/s Japanese FST-01-NeuG 1.0 which I got for 50$: it works
well and is fully supported by Linux.  It is however slow when you want to
initialise a large dm-crypt partition with random data to hide the true
filesystem's encrypted data.  It's best used to produce strong cryptography
keys.

Alessandro