Quoting Joerg Reisenweber (reisenwe...@web.de):

> On Mon 13 November 2017 15:46:30 John Hughes wrote:
> > systemd didn't exist in 1991 when USL decided that for SVR4.2 /bin, /lib
> > and /sbin should just be symlinks to /usr.
>
> And when did USL (whoever that is) decide that SVR4.2 doesn't care
> about being able to run on any ARM SoC? And how's that relevant for
> Linux?

John's dredging out ancient pre-Linux stuff, so presumably he's a
greybeard like yr. humble servant (or at least channeling one).

The funny thing was, back then in the 80s, we of the Unix[1] community
became accustomed to mostly ignoring what AT&T / Bell Labs / Unix System
Laboratories considered important even if we were running their code.
I was switching back and forth between BSD implementations and SYSV r.
3.x and 4.x implementations.  The latter included actual AT&T Unix SYSV
r. 3.21 and then (in the early '90s) briefly Novell Unixware 2.0.  The
AT&T product was one I picked up from a remainder merchandiser for US
$50 including a full bookshelf full of bound manuals, justifying my $50,
which is more than I can say for the OS, which was abysmal compared to
CSRG's BSD.

By the time I'd switched primarily to 386BSD 0.1 in '92 (just before
jumping to Linux), if you'd told me USL, pursuant to its rather
non-compelling attempt to merge SunOS and System V to produce SYSV4, was
now opining that /bin, /lib, and /sbin should just be symlinks to /usr
(on SVR4.2 or on anything else), I'd have just laughed.

But, and my apologies to the listadmins, none of this has much to do
with Devuan.

[1] The grammarian in me keeps insisting it shouldn't have been 'UNIX',
not being an acronym.