Hi Ed and Katolaz,

On 11/28/2017 10:57 AM, KatolaZ wrote:
On Tue, Nov 28, 2017 at 08:44:54AM +0100, Edward Bartolo wrote:
Since udev is an essential package, I am posting the output from
apt-get install -s eudev. Please, excuse my extra caution. udev still
seems to be installed although the version number is a weird 1.0.0.

The udev package that gets installed is a transitional dummy
package. It's empty. It has no file. It's just a way to force a clean
upgrade to eudev, You can even remove it after you install eudev.

HND

KatolaZ
Yes, a transitional dummy package is needed for that (initramfs-tools, xserver-xorg-core... depend on udev). I used another one in the case of vdev, named libvdev1. That was also an empty package allowing the removal of libudev1 in favor of libudev1-compat.

Thanks to Parazyd and Svante Signell for their work on the packaging of eudev.

Cheers,

  Aitor.