Hendrik Boom <hend...@topoi.pooq.com> wrote:

> Somehow I have two dhcp configuration files:
>
> /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf
>
> and
>
> /etc/dhcpd.conf
>
> on my Devuan Jessie system, which was upgraded from Debian preJessie
> (I forget what that one was called)

Wheezy

> They have similar, but not identical contents.  Both have had items
> added locally to define permanent IP numbers, and not quite the
> same ones.
>
> Which one of these should I be updating?  And which should I remove?
> Or is the story or complicated than that?

Dunno where one has come from, but the standard layout for the ISC server is to
use /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf - /etc/dhcp/ also contains config files for the client
is installed.

IIRC, if you restart the server, it will include the config file path in
syslog. In any case, you could always try renaming one and see if the service
still works !