Hi,

I have discovered a very serious OS failure under ASCII when the
system tries to wake itself up after running pm-suspend as root.
Nothing works apart from the Ctrl+Alt+ Fn combination which brings a
screen continously displaying errors about:
a) ata1 and ata0 not being recognised or something similar
b) INIT periodically trying to respawn itself and if I remember
failing to do so.

Trying to shutdown the system also fails. The only way was a hard
shutdown by pressing the power button for a few seconds until power
was turned off.

Trying to run any program under XFCE during the system failure brought
a dialog complaining that the root file system could not be accessed.
According to my memory it said input/output error.

I remember a few years back to bypass this system failure I used to
disable SATA mode and used the older IDE mode in the BIOS.

I am suspecting this has to do with the kernel.