I just upgraded devuan from jessie to ascii.  I now have a new kernel.

Now I'm used to, when a new kernel is installed, that the boot process
is also updated to boot the new kernel.  But this has not happened.

I still hae the same old /boot/grub/grub.cfg, which specified the same
old kernel and initrd.

Hand-editing this isn;t enough, becuase I also don't have a new initrd
for the new kernel.

Evidently sometime in the past few years, the option to update the boot
process when nstalling a new kernel has gone wrong.

What can I do to restore this behaviour>  Or what do I have to do by
hand after an upgrade to make it work?  Presuambly there's a detailed,
step-by-step procedure, and also an automated process that does it all
autmatically.

-- hendrik