Hello everybody,

first of all, I wish you a happy new year! Yesterday I finished to migrate
my system from Debian stretch to Devuan ascii. I had a little struggle with
KDE5 shutdown/reboot buttons and USB mounting but finally solved this by using
lightdm display manager.

Anyway, being a long term Debian user, I decided to switch to Devuan because of
many unstabilities and black magic happening since Debian stretch. Probably lots
of this was related to systemd software bunch incoporating everything which was
a separate software package before. But don't get it wrong, I do not dislike
systemd as init system itself, just the fact that more and more things are
merged
into it, making everything else depending on it and making decisions how my
system
should behave without even telling me. There are some similar alternatives,
maybe jobd/launchd is worth a try.

Now, after using Linux based systems for quite a long time now I would like to
give something back and help Devuan. I think I could help with maintaining some
packages. Please give an advice, which packages I could start with or maybe
which
ones are important. Another idea I have is to spend some work on consolekit.
When
strugling with the KDE5 shutdown/reboot buttons I figured out that the
"ck-launch-session" command from consolekit seems to be buggy. But the original
consolekit is not developed anymore because of systemd's logind. I have found
that there is a consolekit2 fork of original consolkit which is still alive and
maybe
it makes sense to have such a package in Devuan? It should fix the problems with
ck-launch-session. Or is it better to go on with elogind? There was some
discussion
in forums about elogind but I'm unsure if this is already going to be added as
package to Devuan by someone else.

So if you think I can help please give me an advice were to start and maybe
which
packages are required/needed to be handled. What do you think of consolekit2
package.

cheers,
Andreas

--
gnuPG keyid: 8C2BAF51
fingerprint: 28EE 8438 E688 D992 3661 C753 90B3 BAAA 8C2B AF51