On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 07:52:07AM +0000, KatolaZ wrote:
> elogind has been in Devuan's radar for quite a while, and I guess will
> become a priority just after ASCII gets out. I have not studied it in
> depth, but my understanding is that the most promising path would be
> to let it become a drop-in replacement to systemd-logind, e.g. by
> letting it Provides: SOMETHING. This is somwhow different from the
> case of udev/eudev since there is no independent Debian package (so
> far) for logind, and I don't know if there is a specific capability
> that can be used in a Provides: . Maybe you have a better knowledge on
> that.

Simon McVittie said:

# It looks as though elogind is a fork of systemd-logind with reduced
# functionality, no dependency on systemd as pid 1, and logind's D-Bus API
# (so, basically systemd-shim done right), so it should be possible for
# most of those to talk to elogind's logind-compatible API without code
# changes (via libsystemd, even). Now that we have versioned Provides,
# one way to achieve that might be for implementations of the logind API
# to add Provides: logind (= v) where v is the version of systemd whose
# logind API is implemented (currently 219 for elogind and 236 for systemd),
# and for depending packages to depend on libpam-systemd (>= v) | logind
# (>= v), or even on default-logind | logind (>= v) (with default-logind
# provided by libpam-systemd on Debian) to be nice to anti-systemd
# derivatives. Obviously >= v can be omitted if recent logind features
# are not required.

which sounds like a good solution to me.

Meow!
--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets.  Instead, contact the nearest temple