Hello Hendrik.

Hendrik Boom - 21.02.18, 15:08:
> Now I have the fortune or misfortune (I don't know which yet) to have
> a GnuBee 2, waiting in its box to be assembled.  The online page
> https://lwn.net/Articles/743609/ tells me that it works with kernel
> "Linux 3.10.14 with lots of changes", and that many of the changes have
> *not* made it into the mainline kernel.  There is also a "4.4.87-based
> kernel", reported as not reliable.
>
> So I'd really like to know how much of btrfs is reliable now, and how
> much was reliable back in the days of the 3.10.14 kernel.

My short recommendation: Do not use BTRFS with Linux 3.10.

Use BTRFS with a lot more recent kernel. My personal recommendation is at
least 4.6.

Will it fail with 3.10? Probably not, probably yes. Especially in the area of
free space management (the long time out of space issues) BTRFS developers
implemented tons of significant improvements since 3.10.

Thanks,
--
Martin