...on Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 09:08:15AM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
 > Laast I heard here about btrfs is that it's recommended for use only bu
 > those who "know where the bodies are buried".

I've been running btrfs for years now, both on distribution
kernels and on newer ones I built myself. The more recent the
kernel, the better though - there's been constant improvements
(which sometimes also need updated versions of btrfs-tools).
Some newer features limit backwards compatibility, and older
kernels might throw warnings when trying to mount the volume.

I'm not using a lot of features - snapshots, and mirroring mostly.
Not had any problems with either, though replacing a disk
(and having the system boot from a degraded mirror) has been
somewhat fiddly.

Most of the questions I had were answered by the btrfs wiki
(https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page).

Alex.