On 03/12/2018 06:34 PM, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 05:44:07PM -0400, fsmithred wrote:
>
> [cut]
>

>> Adding it as a dep is a good idea. Once it's installed, it can be found in
>> the menu under "Other" in xfce. I'm not sure where it shows up in other
>> menus. The user can dig through the menu and find it once, then copy the
>> .desktop files to their desktop. They're in /usr/share/applications/
>> LARGER_FONTS.desktop and SMALLER_FONTS.desktop
>>
>> Getting the icons on the desktop in the live iso is easy - I just put a
>> copy in the rootfs_overlay and it gets copied to the target. I'm not sure
>> what the best way would be to do this automatically.
>>
>> OK, this works, too. It copies the .desktop files to the current user's
>> desktop.
>>
>> xdg-desktop-icon install --novendor LARGER_FONTS.desktop
>>
>> xdg-desktop-icon install --novendor SMALLER_FONTS.desktop
>>

> Hi fsmithred,
>
> I was thinking more to an incantation, in the same style of those made
> by desktop-base ;)
>
> HND
>
> KatolaZ

I tried thinking of that, but it made my head hurt. I don't know of a
config file in xfce that says what icons are on the desktop. Somewhere,
there's something for the Home, Trash, Filesystem and Removable drives
that you can select in a settings checkbox, but I suspect that's not a
plain text config file that can be replaced with an edited version.

Put the files in /etc/skel? That would be easy, but it would only work for
new users. Does d-i create the user before or after desktop-base is installed?

fsr