I suspect if I tried building from palemoon sources, it might be easier to
figure that out (I will try with your mozconfig some time). In any case Steve
Pussers builds seem to work reliably and are regularly updated, which makes it
easy.

The issue I think is when you don't use dbus or pulse, etc but still have the
support. But I don't think it's good to remove those in a standard built meant
for everyone.

Interestingly someone pointed to an issue where dbus support would use a lot of
resources in conjunction with libsdl2 if the dbus daemon isn't available but
the support library is. So this might be a good reason why someone would want
to build their own at times.

@hendrik

I agree that does improve the situation a little bit. I think it would be great
if there was more of a "hard" fork or more collaboration though.

Afaik the only one removing EME altogether is icecat. I think a tweaked build
of that would be interesting.

​Thanks,

chillfan