wirelessd...@gmail.com - 14.05.18, 02:52:
> I’ve read that the ascii RC has optional support for OpenRC. How can I
> switch to this on an existing system to try it out?
>
> Is it simply a matter of running “apt-get install openrc”?

This basically did it for me. But this warning has been unhelpful for me:

%:/var/lib/dpkg/info# grep -A 2 "sysv" *openrc*
openrc.postinst:        echo "*** WARNING: if you are replacing sysv-rc by
OpenRC, then you must ***"
openrc.postinst-        echo "*** reboot immediately using the following
command:                ***"
openrc.postinst-        echo 'for file in /etc/rc0.d/K*; do s=`basename
$(readlink "$file")` ; /etc/init.d/$s stop; done'

(Devuan Ascii with sysvinit-core, systemd package already purged)

What this did on my system is: Stop all services and then sit there. It
did not reboot. I asked a co-worker to reboot the machine via the
hypervisor and it worked.

openrc 0.23-1+b1 on my first ever Devuan server :)

> If I switch, will I have to create new service definition files for
> each existing daemon in /etc/init.d or can it read and reuse those
> files automatically?

I didn´t do anything except installing openrc and rebooting.

Thanks,
--
Martin