On Thu, Jul 26, 2018 at 04:13:41PM +0200, info at smallinnovations dot nl wrote:

[cut]

> > But that would entail forking and patching all the packages which use
> > libsystemd to force them to check if systemd is available... which is
> > exactly what we are trying to avoid by nooping libsystemd0... :P
> >
> > HND
> >
> > KatolaZ
> >
> No it would not, it will offer developers who want to use some systemd
> API call in their development the opportunity to do so for nosystemd
> systems too.
> Developers who do not use libsystemd0 now because they do not need it or
> cannot afford it (embedded systems with a small memory footprint) can
> easily ignore it.

I guess our main problem is to maintain packages that depend on
systemd, and provide alternatives for that dependency. Not to ease the
life of developers that decide to rely on system. Even because I doubt
that such an API would ever be accepted upstream (i.e., by systemd
developers).

> But may be we better discuss this on dev1galaxy instead of this list.

Why should we? This list is more than adequate for such discussions, I
guess. I personally never liked forums :\

HND

KatolaZ