Quoting Steve Litt (sl...@troubleshooters.com):

> [snip two similar points]
> I quote from my original Palemoon comment:

Unfortunately, you quote a non-sequitur -- the same one as before, i.e.,
you have ignored the point a second time.  Paraphrased:  'Upstream devs
said something I don't like and that I consider inexcusable, -ergo- I
removed the thing they created from all of my computers.'

That literally _doesn't follow_ -- and qualifies as (with apologies to
non-native English speakers, for whom this antique saying will be a bit
opaque 'cutting off your nose to spite your face'.[1]

You can use the unbranded code you find useful in a fully open source
manner without any dealings with the upstream devs whatsoever, so your
opinion that the latter have behaved like asshats lacks any obvious
relevance.

And, by the way, I've walked the walk, on this.  In my online personal
FAQ item starting in 1999 explaining why I preferred to preferred not to
run Prof. Dan Bernstein's software (and I was thinking primarily of
qmail, that I was admining professionally at the time, and djbdns), the
FAQ item Bernstein threw a public tantrum about and amended his pages to
attempt to impugn my character, I nowhere said anything remotely like 'I
decline to run Dan's software because he's a notorious flaming asshat.'
My reasons were all procedural and technical.

> Mr. Boss was insulting and threatened legal action, in the very first
> communication. When someone's first reaction is to lawyer-threaten, I
> have nothing further to do with the guy.

And, _right there_, you make the error of identifying the asshat with
open source code created by the asshat -- even though your making use
of that code need never require you to interact in any way with that
person.  _Because open source._  Get it?

That's your bug.  You should patch it.

(For the record, when Dan made semi-deniable sort-of legal threats
against me in e-mail for 'libel' [sic] against his software, I laughed,
reiterated to him that I'd gladly correct any factual errors, stated
that as far as I was able to tell my FAQ item was both factually
accurate and in violation of no laws, and gave him the name of my
attorney in the event of him disagreeing and feeling a compulsion to
pursue legal process:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/faq/dan-brandishing-legal-threats )

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutting_off_the_nose_to_spite_the_face