On 11/23/18 5:02 PM, Adam Borowski wrote:
On Fri, Nov 23, 2018 at 01:28:00PM +0100, Alessandro Selli wrote:

   Right, many USB modems show up as something different than a
networking device when they are plugged-in.  I haven't used any of them
for a long time, but I remember many of them show up as a CDROM device
which carries the Windows drivers and/or some Windows utility.  The
actual modem shows up after the CDROM device is unmounted or ejected.

Ie, usbmodeswitch.  This might or might not work with modemmanager -- in my
experience, it works _randomly_.  Including having the dongle suddenly
switch while the connection is running, with obviously fatal results.  And
modemmanager seems to be unable to recover.

Ok, today I paid a visit to the seniors' club to see what can be done. I found their old USB stick modem, inserted it into the Devuan box ...:

root@devuan:~# lsusb
Bus 002 Device 005: ID 19d2:0017 ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0951:1642 Kingston Technology DT101 G2
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 0000:3825
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
root@devuan:~# usb_modeswitch -v 19d2 -p 0017
Look for default devices ...
   product ID matched
 Found devices in default mode (1)
Access device 005 on bus 002
Current configuration number is 1
Use interface number 0

USB description data (for identification)
-------------------------
Manufacturer: ZTE,Incorporated
     Product: ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
  Serial No.: MF6670VIPD010000
-------------------------
Warning: no switching method given. See documentation
-> Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye!

root@devuan:~#

... then I tried again but with some more options:

root@devuan:~# usb_modeswitch -v 19d2 -p 0017 -K
Look for default devices ...
   product ID matched
 Found devices in default mode (1)
Access device 005 on bus 002
Current configuration number is 1
Use interface number 0
Use endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)

USB description data (for identification)
-------------------------
Manufacturer: ZTE,Incorporated
     Product: ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
  Serial No.: MF6670VIPD010000
-------------------------
Sending standard EJECT sequence
Looking for active driver ...
 OK, driver detached
Set up interface 0
Use endpoint 0x01 for message sending ...
Trying to send message 1 to endpoint 0x01 ...
 OK, message successfully sent
Read the response to message 1 (CSW) ...
 Response reading failed (error -7)
 Device is gone, skip any further commands

root@devuan:~# usb_modeswitch -v 19d2 -p 0017 -K -R
Look for default devices ...
   product ID matched
 Found devices in default mode (1)
Access device 009 on bus 002
Current configuration number is 1
Use interface number 0
Use endpoints 0x01 (out) and 0x81 (in)

USB description data (for identification)
-------------------------
Manufacturer: ZTE,Incorporated
     Product: ZTE WCDMA Technologies MSM
  Serial No.: MF6670VIPD010000
-------------------------
Sending standard EJECT sequence
Looking for active driver ...
 OK, driver detached
Set up interface 0
Use endpoint 0x01 for message sending ...
Trying to send message 1 to endpoint 0x01 ...
 OK, message successfully sent
Read the response to message 1 (CSW) ...
 Response reading failed (error -7)
 Device is gone, skip any further commands
Device handle empty, skip USB reset
-> Run lsusb to note any changes. Bye!

root@devuan:~#

... seems that -K (eject memory stich driver) and -R (reset) did not change much (if anything). Any idea?

    The package modemmanager is supposed to take care of the correct
initialization of a number of known and supported modems using udev's
rules (the ASCII package install 18 such rules).  Yet, I think sometimes
human intervention is still needed, and of course several USB modems (as
well as PCMCIA/CardBus ones and some WiFi dongles and Access Points) are
partially, poorly or not supported at all.

Alas, we're deeply in the "sacrifice a young black goat" land.  The quality
of drivers, firmware and _hardware_ is so egregious that it's far more
effort effective to take an old phone and set up tethering.

There is no modemmanager there, as well as no vwdial, ppp, etc installed per default in this Devuan distro. I will have to download .deb packages elsewhere and bring them here to continue ...

Misko