On 4/21/22 23:00, marc wrote:
Hello

gpm (and I suppose also consolation) is active only on the console, not in
virtual terminals - so there's no conflict.

Libre Gr????e,
Florian

I don't understand what you mean by virtual terminal.  I don't use a DE,
just openbox.  I may have two xterms open, nedit, tuxcmd plus some other
program.  The mouse will work in any of these and its input would come from
one place, presumably the mouse driver.  If I install gpm (or consolation)
what decides where the mouse input is coming from?  It appears to me that
the default driver needs to be stopped but I don't know what it is called.

Are you using gpm in repeater mode (-R with /dev/gpmdata)
to somehow translate mouse buttons ?

There are a number of programs to translate input devices (via /dev/uinput),
including one written by yours truly...  though given that gpm appears
to be present in the upgraded distribution, just making sure that
it runs with the correct options might be the easiest ?

regards

marc

Hi Marc,
I installed gpm but it was not able to capture the pointer. Likely I don't know enough about how it works to choose the right options.

The original (USB) mouse appears to show up at /dev/input/mouse0. The mouse I want to use has a TTL interface which is connected to one of the FTDI serial to USB converters. When plugged in it appears at /dev/ttyUSB0. I used minicom to verify it works. There was an article somewhere on the Internet about using a Sun mouse on Linux and long ago I tested their command line on Debian Jessie and it worked.

gpm -b 1200 -m /dev/ttyUSB0 -t msc

However, on Beowulf it does not do anything. ps -e shows that gpm is running. What should the command line be for repeater mode? /dev/gpmdata does not exist.

Best regards,
Fred