> On 25 Nov 2019, at 20:54, Florian Weimer <f...@deneb.enyo.de> wrote:
>
> The query numbers are surprisingly low.  To me at last.

What do you consider to be a lot of queries? The root server system
collectively handles 500K-1M queries per second. That seems rather a lot to me.
YMMV. I don't know of any other IT platform that reliably handles transactions
at anything close to that volume. Or orders of magnitude lower. IIUC Mastercard
and Visa each handle around "only" 30K transactions/second.

Root server query numbers are continually rising. This is why suggestions like
Mark's and RFC7706 need careful consideration. Ultimately, the root server
operators won't be able to keep on adding capacity and bandwidth to keep up
with demand or mitigate DDoS attacks. They'll eventually run out of
money/bits/hardware before the script kiddies and their botnets do. Even though
the RSOs are winning that arms race today.

> Do we know why the number of root instances has increased?

Partly it will be each RSO adding more instances to improve resilience,
capacity and performance. They will also be adding more servers to address
layer 9+ questions from countries who want to have more root servers inside
their borders. IXPs/ISPs want that too, just like they want extra copies of
local cache nodes from CDNs.

Some countries perceive the DNS root to be US-centric. When they're not on
friendly terms with the USA, that can be a problem. Adding anycast root
instances in say China or Russia can go some way to alleviate some of those
concerns.

> Is it because of the incoming data is interesting?

Define interesting. IMO instances are being added for the reasons above.
Whether the ever-growing volume of queries to the root is interesting or not is
irrelevant IMO.