Thanks for your prompt reply, Simon and Harish.

I used the exact format suggested (mac,ip,lease).

Additionally, I see this in the logs when dnsmasq starts,
dnsmasq[16686]: cannot read /var/run/_root_root_vdhcpd200.dhcp_hosts.cfg:
Permission denied
dnsmasq[16686]: read /var/run/_root_root_vdhcpd200.dhcp_hosts.cfg

That is a bit confusing. I made sure the user and group are right and
dnsmasq is running as root.

>>Can you do an arping from a computer from an another hub to a specific
>>VM instance ??
>>Is it the same when physical machines are added to the config file ??

Harish, yes. Arpings to the IPs assigned works. I am only adding guest
machine information into the hostsfile.

The problem is dnsmasq overlooks --dhcp-hostsfile completely. I even used
the 'static' keyword in --dhcp-range=<startip><,dstip><,mode>

Are there any reasons why dnsmasq would do that? The options passed look
good.

Thanks,
Shashank

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM, harish badrinath <harishbadrin...@gmail.com