On 06/07/12 21:26, Shashank Shanbhag wrote:
Thanks for your prompt reply, Simon and Harish.

I used the exact format suggested (mac,ip,lease).

Additionally, I see this in the logs when dnsmasq starts,
dnsmasq[16686]: cannot read /var/run/_root_root_vdhcpd200.dhcp_hosts.cfg:
Permission denied
dnsmasq[16686]: read /var/run/_root_root_vdhcpd200.dhcp_hosts.cfg

That is a bit confusing. I made sure the user and group are right and
dnsmasq is running as root.

Dnsmasq starts as root, but it normally runs as another user. The distributed code defaults to "nobody" but it might be a dnsmasq-specific user on some Linux distros. (On Debian and Ubunutu, it's "dnsmasq").

Try making the file world-readable as a test, then tighten up the permissions if you need to.

The logging is a bit confusion here: the second "read <filename>" line is a lie, believe the first line.

HTH

Simon.

Can you do an arping from a computer from an another hub to a specific
VM instance ??
Is it the same when physical machines are added to the config file ??

Harish, yes. Arpings to the IPs assigned works. I am only adding guest
machine information into the hostsfile.

The problem is dnsmasq overlooks --dhcp-hostsfile completely. I even used
the 'static' keyword in --dhcp-range=<startip><,dstip><,mode>

Are there any reasons why dnsmasq would do that? The options passed look
good.

Thanks,
Shashank

On Tue, Jul 3, 2012 at 11:13 PM, harish badrinath<harishbadrin...@gmail.com