Koos Pol on 7/2/2013 4:28 PM, wrote:
Op 30-06-13 22:25, Simon Kelley schreef:

On 30/06/13 16:55, Adam Hardy wrote:

adam....@cyberspaceroad.com on 6/29/2013 5:45 PM, wrote:
adam at gondor:~$ cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1       localhost gondor gondor.localdomain
192.168.0.3     gondor.localdomain

I installed dhcping and running this command on the server with dnsmasq
on 192.168.0.3 produces the response "no answer" - surely I probe the
DHCP service from the same machine like that?

It's possible that the kernel or routing the dhcping request via the lo local
interface, rather than via eth1, which is where dnsmasq is expecting to
receive it.

It may not be related, but OP surprised me by having a FQHN for 127.0.0.1
Although many current Linux box configure themselves that way, it is
considered bad practice. Try to avoid it.

Hi Koos,
is that because you should only have the FQDN appear once in /etc/hosts? Or is there another reason?

Regards
Adam