Hello all, (and sorry for top-posting, but trying to catch up with this thread)

Since I believe that you already described what I had in mind in my version of the patch ;-) I'll like to just add few comments on remaining
points:

Simon:

yes of course that would be possible to skip the option 'pxe-skip-menu' alltogether: but

- I think that this is just a workaround (because what
  dnsmasq implements should be working for PXE/UEFI ...)
  and it may not be needed in the future ..  so kind more 'elegant' to
  implement it this way (option could be called 'pxe-menu-workaround'
  perhaps ?

- It gives more flexibility: the workaround can be applied only
  to predefined <tag> and <CSA> (sorry - patched man page should be
  improved to state that clearly): so we can use that to implement
  for example sthg like this:

   - match on given hwaddr prefix with dhcp-match, then tag
   - match on tag and client architecture and apply workaround only
     then.

I think the 'tagging' capability of dnsmasq is rather nice feature
and should not be removed for this kind of workaround...

Dreamcat4:

Yes, the option could take multiple arguments:

pxe-skip-menu="TAG1,CSA1,TAG2,CSA2" .. etc (tags being optional)..
not sure that this is more readable than having the option specified multiple times ... (but have no strong opinion about that ..)

I think that explaining in man page as you proposed - should be enough ..

wkitty42/Dreamcat4/Simon:

I also think that a workaround would better not be enabled by default,
just used when really needed.

Michael/Simon:

- setting of sname is indeed because I found 2 clients which did not
  want to boot without it ..

- naming convention:

  <name>.0 vs. <name>.efi -  (I believe that I actually added .0 for efi
  there): I think this is just convention (I believe initial idea was
  that boot rom will be able to recognize the boot loader executable
  format by extension and act accordingly to run it ... but I dont
  think this really matters in current implementations .. for example
  the Windows Deployment Server serves an .com or .exe or .efi this
  days ...)

  I think that actually the fact that dnsmasq adds '.0' for x86PC
  is little bit confusing (yeah, I know its documented ..): and I
  think that maybe it would be better not to add anything
  'automagically' there .. but of course that would break backwards
  compatibility ...

  Then this will be confusing even more if sometimes .0
  and sometimes .efi is added, as an example:

  pxe-service=tag:TAG1,x86PC, "a", /path/loader
  pxe-service=tag:TAG2,X86-64_EFI, "a" , /path/loader

  first line would send /path/loader.0
  second would send /path/loader.efi

  So my personal opinion would be that adding no suffix
  at all would be better ..

OK, so there are my 0.02EUR, thanks everybody !

Best Regards

Jarek

__