Just tried a simple test, and didn't see the same behaviour.

Use log-queries to check that the process is really failing in dnsmasq,
ie the problem is not REFUSED answers from upstream. A REFUSED answer
from dnsmasq only occurs if either there are no possible upstream server
to forward to, or if attempts to send UDP packets to all upstream
servers fail immediately, at kernel level. You're not accidentally
blocking packets from you special port, are you?

Cheers,

Simon.