Hello Simon & Uwe,

> unfortunately that problem is seen often with providers in Germany, although
> the large ones no longer
> do it (or allow to disable the disconnect). The problem is that German
> providers automatically
> disconnect the PPPoE connection every 24 hrs. After reconnecting you get a
> new address (IPv4) and
> prefix (IPv6). Since the changes we did (deprecating prefixes) this works
> fine  for standard router
> advertisements. But won't help for DHCPv6.

This is exactly my case, my ISP is o2.

>> Dnsmasq doesn't implement RECONFIGURE. It probably should. The main
>> problem, from a quick look at the RFC, is that RECONFIGURE mandates
>> use of security mechanism, and dnsmasq doesn't implement that either!

I know that it's against RFC but some routers (like the fritzbox I'm using,
very popular choice in Germany) actually send RECONFIGURE without
authentication. This is BTW the reason for introduction of "noauthrequired"
config option in dhcpcd ;-)

> My recommendation to the reporter:
> - Don't use stateful DHCPv6 in Germany, that does not work well. You clients
> should get the addresses
> using router advertisements. For static hosts assign static names in your own
> domain. The "ra-names"
> assigns both the IPv4 and IPv6 address to the SLAAC name, so lookup works
> fine. With router
> advertisements, DNSmasq will send "deprecated" prefixes for some time when it
> figures out that the
> prefix changed and sends the new prefix at the same time. This allows to have
> no interruption (except
> the forced PPP disconnect). In general, in IPv6 world you should forget about
> static addresses, it's also
> better for privacy.

As you correctly recognized, the reason for usage of stateful DHCPv6 was to get
correct dynamic name resolution for IPv6. My IPv4 setup utilizes static
addresses, I didn't used DHCPv4 for hosts acting as servers. I also see the
combination of DHCPv4 with SLAAC as possible workaround, I've to try it. My
problem with this setup is the lack of fallback address in networkd DHCP
client: If DHCPv4 fails due to any reason the host get some "weird" address.
Static IPv4 setup is free from this drawback and wanted to keep it as is and
complement it with IPv6 solution...

Best regards,
--
Andrey Vakhitov