Apologies for raising what is probably a newbie question, but I’ve been unable
to find an answer elsewhere despite several hours of online searching.

I am transferring the DHCP/DNS services provided by dnsmasq for my LAN from one
device to another (the old device runs Debian wheezy; the new one runs Debian
stretch).

A number of the devices on my LAN have fixed IP addresses. Some of these are
statically-defined on the devices themselves, and others are always assigned
the same address by virtue of entries in dnsmasq.conf like this:

dhcp-host=1C:6F:65:39:09:8D,colossus,10.0.0.8

This is all pretty straightforward, and has worked fine for years on the old
device.

But what I’m noticing when I try to cut over to the new device is that the DNS
service only appears to be resolving local LAN addresses for devices for which
it has issued a DHCP lease. I had assumed that those fixed IP entries in
dnsmasq.conf “initialized” the DNS service so that it would resolve them
properly whether or not a lease had been issued.

Questions:

  *   Is there a way to configure dnsmasq to act the way I expected it to?

  *   If not, what’s the recommended way of addressing the situation? I could
put the fixed IP addresses in /etc/hosts. But I’ve resisted doing that because
of concerns over someday accidentally changing the DHCP assignment in
dnsmasq.conf and forgetting to update the corresponding entry in hosts (or vice
versa). It feels kludgy.

- Mark