On 21/04/2020 14:58, William Edwards wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am working on replacing static IP addresses in our network by static
> DHCP leases (which is in turn preparation for PXE). For IPv4, this is
> easily doable, but for IPv6 this is a bit of a challenge because of the
> following:
>
> In our case, all services directly attached to the internet are
> dual-stack. We make IPv6 addresses easy to remember by placing
> corresponding /32s in the last 32 bits of /128s. For example,
> 98.98.98.98's dual-stack IPv6 address would become
> 2a01:ac00::$something:98:98:98:98. That way, we only have to remember
> our prefix and the IPv4 address, increasing IPv6 adoption rates.
>
> Of course, when providing our network with IPv6 addresses by DHCP, this
> will become a bit of a challenge. I would not expect dnsmasq to support
> this very specific way of assigning IPv6 addresses, but I am wondering
> if others on the mailing list use a similar address format, and if so,
> how they have automated this. Especially as I would have to link the
> IPv6 and IPv4 addresses on the DHCP side.
>
> Ideas are welcome.

According to RFC 4291 Para 2.2, a mixed representation is possible, for
instance ipv6-mapped IPv4 addresses can be written as

::ffff.1.2.3.4

So you could use something like 2a01:ac00::$something:98.98.98.98

and not have problems if octets in your address are greater than 99.

Dnsmasq uses the standard libc address-parsing functions which should
support this format, BUT the option parsing code may have difficulty
recognizing such addresses as IPv6 addresses, I shall take a look......

Simon.

Dnsmasq uses that standard libc address parsing functions, so such addresses